Happy November! It’s that time of year again…
With a little preparation and planning this holiday season you will find more time to enjoy the holidays with friends and family.
Holiday Planning Tips:
- Make a list of people, gift ideas and a budget for each person. You can search the internet for the best pricing. Here is a list of popular holiday gifts this year.
- Shopping early is the key. Don’t wait until the last minute, otherwise, the items you have on your list could be unavailable. The supply chain could impact 2021 holiday shopping along with shopping times.
- To keep organized, download one of the shopping list apps
- If you are still working remotely, a fun idea for coworkers is Secret Santa
- Simplify card giving by making a spreadsheet and printing labels, or send virtual cards.
- Keep your holiday wrapping supplies in one area. Wrap presents as you buy them. There are many beautiful and sustainable recycled wrapping paper design options.
- Depending on how many people you are buying for, wrapping can be a daunting task so check with the store if they are offering free wrapping with purchase. If you purchase online, there is usually an option (additional cost) to add gift wrapping.
- When opening presents, remember you can recycle regular and glossy wrapping paper unless it has non-paper additives like metallic, flakes, colored shapes or glitter. Foil, metallic and heavily laminated wrapping paper should also be thrown away. Another option is gift bags that can be reused or reuse bags from gifts you received last year. According to a study from the Stanford Recycling Program, Americans throw away 25% more trash during the Thanksgiving to New Year’s holiday period than any other time of the year.
- If you plan to bake cookies, go through the recipes and make sure all of the ingredients are in your cupboard. Also, check the expiration dates prior to grocery shopping.
- If you are hosting, take inventory of supplies, make a menu and grocery list.
- If you like a fresh cut tree but are too busy, Bachmans will deliver one right to your door! They are a local business.
- Plug in your lights, make sure they are working properly.
- Unwrap all of your ornaments. If you haven’t used certain ornaments, wreaths or other holiday decor consider donating these items.
- The holidays are over and you are ready to store your supplies: Store fragile items with care. Store ornaments, wreaths and lights in containers. Separate each ornament so it doesn’t get scratched, chipped or broken. Use a clip for lights.
- Consider using clear plastic bins that are airtight and moisture-resistant. Take Measurements prior to purchasing storage bins. Look for bins that have handles/wheels.
- Label everything so it’s much easier to find next year.
I hope these tips are helpful and that you have a great holiday season!